Tuesday 1 March 2011

LEND THEM YOUR EARS - 01/03/2011 - POPPY PEREZZ

As I predicted in last week's Lend Them Your Ears, March has got off to a pretty miserable start weather-wise. So I offer you a latin-tinged electro-pop tonic called Poppy Perezz...


Despite having a distinctly solo artist-esque name this Bristol-based band is actually a two-piece, consisting of  Poppy Villiers-Stuart and Pablo Perezzarate (you may have noticed where they get their name from...). I was first introduced to this band thanks to Ruth Barnes, author of the excellent The Other Women Music blog (http://theotherwomanmusic.blogspot.com) when she sat in for Tom Robinson on his BBC 6 Music Introducing show and, ever since, I have been rather hooked on their electro powerpop and its distinctly latin underpinnings.

The band's influences are incredibly eclectic, from Bjork to MIA, The Pixies to the Ibrahim Ferrer and give the music a fresh sound throughout, always twisting and turning when you think you're about to be able to predict its next move. Actually, for that reason they also remind me of a previous LTYE act, Wartime Sweethearts (Check back tomorrow for an interview with Louise from Wartime Sweethearts by the way!), which can only be a good thing, as I freaking love Wartime Sweetheart, like a fat kid loves cake, in fact.


Hmmm... Doesn't look like Bristol to me.

I also rather enjoy Poppy Perezz's lyrics, which mix the sweet, the poetic and the weird with assured awesomeness. My Heart is a personal favourite (you can hear it below) with Poppy's description of the chimney in her heart and skylight in her mind making her sound more like a game of Operation than anything else. There are other more melancholic examples that spring to mind as well such as "Oh I wish I knew why you never joined me when I danced with you" and "I pressed them to my lips like warm autumn leaves but I couldn't breathe". To be honest, the lyrics aren't the first thing that hit you when listening to the band's music, as the interesting, catchy and varied instrumentation takes centre stage initially. However, they show that Poppy Perezz are most definitely worth multiple listens.

Currently gigging mainly in Bristol, although they have played in London, Paris, Bordeaux, Berlin and Mexico City, the band combines alternately cutesy and jazzy vocals with a wide range of instrumentation, from synths to trumpets and plenty of production effects to help the music squelch, bounce and bop it's way into your little heart. And once it's there, it's so catchy it may never leave. And that's no bad thing. Let it nestle joyfully and warm the very cockles of that heart. This metaphor has gone a little awry I feel, but you get the point.

 


Poppy Perezz are signed to Holmbush Records and can be found at www.myspace.com/poppyperezz , www.twitter.com/poppyperezzhttp://www.reverbnation.com/poppyperezz and http://www.facebook.com/pages/Poppy-Perezz/156185331199

No comments:

Post a Comment